Tuesday, June 29, 2010

El segundo dia y la fiesta

Well Monday didn't start off well. My alarm clock didn't go off. We were supposed to leave the dorm at 9 to walk to the university, la Universidad de Castilla-La Mancha, to take our placement tests. I woke up to Dr. Baldridge knocking on my door at 8:50. So I threw some clothes on and ran out the door. When we got there, we couldn't find the group. We were at the place we were going to take the test, but they had gone to another building first. While we were walking around to find our group, we found Holly (one from my group). She was late because the family she is staying with dropped her off late. So it's good that we found her so she wasn't wandering around alone! The whole group finally came to the building where we were and we took our placement test. It wasn't too hard. After that we were given a tour of that building, la Plaza de Maria la Blanca. The other building that most of us would be taking classes is la Plaza Padilla, which is just down the road. After the tour, we had pretty much a free day until the fiesta. So we went back to the dorm, la Residencia de Universidad Feminina (RUF), and had lunch and took siesta. Primero was a mixture of scrambled egg, zucchini (I think), and something else green, and segundo was some kind of fish with an red-orange kind of sauce. Primero wasn't half bad. I mean, I wouldn't have put vegetables and eggs together, but it was ok. The fish was fish. Not great, but not bad. After siesta it was time for the welcome fiesta. So we dressed up and walked up to la Plaza Padilla. Upon entering the courtyard, we were lei'ed with red and yellow lei's. I was a little confused since we aren't in Hawaii, but oh well. La Fiesta de Bienvenidos began with a few speakers from UCLM, followed by a flamenco band and dancer and a little spanish play. I couldn't understand all of it because they talked so fast and they were far away, but what I heard was funny. La fiesta ended with an exhibition of medieval fencing. It was so cool! The swordsmen wove in and out of the courtyard and even let some other people try it. After the fiesta, we were tired, so we came back to RUF. I walked in and the Brasil v. Chile World Cup game was on, so I watched the end of that with some of the Brasilians in the dorm. It was quite entertaining!

No comments:

Post a Comment