Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Fiesta Brasilena!

Ok Let me catch you up real quick on the past two days. Yesterday (Tuesday) was our first day of class. I was placed in level 5 out of 10, which I don't think is right. I couldn't have done that poorly on the exam. But we have a chance to move up levels if the material is too easy. which it is. My teachers are great though, and I like them a lot! In grammar, we worked on the indefinido (preterite) and imperfect tenses of verbs. I did that a long time ago. In conversation, we talked about where we were from and why we study Spanish. The teacher talked mainly to each student individually, which got really boring after a while when she wasn't talking to me. There are three Chinos (Chinese), four Unidenses (Americans), and twenty Brasilenos (Brazilians). Well, not really twenty, maybe like 8. They all live in the same residence as my group does, so we see them a lot. After class, we came back and had lunch. I talked to mom on skype, and then I wasn't feeling well, so I took a siesta. I was going to get up for dance class at 7, but I still felt terrible, so I stayed in bed. Then I was going to get up for the Spain v. Portugal game, but I was still sick, so I just stayed in bed pretty much until this morning.


I felt somewhat better this morning. My throat is still scratchy [it better not be strep HANNAH PERCY or so help me, I'm going to come across this ocean and get you.] I went to class and it was still too easy. But our teacher, Senorita Virginia Barbero told me and the other 3 Americans that she thinks this work is too easy for us, so she's going to talk to the prof. in a higher level to see if we can go there. It all depends on the class size. They don't want it to end up with like 30 students in one class and 4 in another. So we'll see in a few days I guess. Our second class was canceled b/c they took us all as a group to the Ayuntamiento, which I think is the city courthouse. They packed us all into the main hall and gave some speeches, which I couldn't really hear, but they were about Toledo, and then we were free after that. We had a little while before lunch, so Haley, Elyssa, Rachel, our new friend Pamela, and I got some helado, ice cream, and did a little window-shopping. Then we came back and had lunch- primero was something spinach with maybe cheese and bits of ham in it? I'm not sure, I didn't eat much of it. And segundo was chicken and mashed potatoes. They have something potato in every single meal! Then Crystal and I hung out and talked in my room for a while and decided to do a little shopping along the street that leads to la Plaza Zocodover. We found Elyssa on the way and she joined us. I got one gift, I think, but mainly I just shopped for ideas for gifts for people. We made plans to go to la Plaza de Toros to watch the futbol game on Sat. night. Apparently, they put a big screen up at the arena and everybody goes there to watch it. I just hope we get back from Segovia in time. We're taking a day trip up to Segovia on Saturday! It's not that fat, and we're leaving at 8:30 AM, and the game isn't until 8:30 PM, so we should be back in time. TONIGHT was la fiesta brasilena. SO.MUCH.FUN! I tried to learn how to dance some of the Brasilena dances, but I don't know how well I did. I tried some kind of Brasilena drink, I have no idea what was in it, but it was good! I also tried "calimocho", which is a Spanish drink that is just half coca-cola and half wine. Easy to make and very tasty! We danced and we danced, and sang songs. It was so much fun! Who knew that I would come to Spain and go to a Brasil fiesta?!

No comments:

Post a Comment