Sunday, June 27, 2010

We made it!

We made it safe and sound into Toledo! We left on Saturday morning at 9:50 from the Nashville airport to Philadelphia. We had a six hour layover in Philly, then we left for Madrid. We arrived in Madrid at 8:20 AM Spanish time and took a bus down to Toledo. They dropped us off at Puente de San Martin, a bridge into the city (buses aren't allowed to drive into the historic district because of the narrow, cobblestone streets) and we walked to our dorm, We checked into our rooms, showered (finally!) and went to find someplace for lunch. My new friend Holly and I found this little restaurant not too far from our dorm. Lunch for the Spanish is the biggest meal of the day (in the US, it's dinner). Most places will serve two courses for lunch. I had gazpacho (a cold kind of tomato soup) for my primero and pork chops and vegetables for my segundo. After lunch, we decided to explore a little bit. We went back down toward Puente de San Martin and walked around there for a little while. It started to get really hot, and it was almost time for siesta, so we headed back to the dorm. I'm in a room by myself, which is ok, but I'm kind of sad because I was excited about sharing a room with someone. But it's ok. That means that I have the closet to myself. :) I took a 3-hour (much-needed after barely any sleep on the plane) nap. Then Dr. Baldridge and I went to go find something to eat for dinner. The first thing I've learned in Spain is that gazpacho gives me heartburn. So for dinner, I turned to something more familiar: McDonald's. It's very different here. Your included beverage can be beer. Weird. People smoke all over the place here, but they can't smoke inside public places, which I'm very grateful for. Well, it is time for bed, I am exhausted! Can't wait for another exciting day tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment